Thursday, October 18, 2012

Day 14- Walking after the Spirit- dying to fear

Fear has been the biggest motivator in my life. I grew up walking on eggshells trying not to irritate my mother trying hard not to give any fuel to cause her anger to flare. Also to not give any fuel to my brother to bully.
I later did the same at school with the bullies there.
I became worse as I got out of school and I had to join the work force. By this time it became anxiety. There was no threat but I had such dread sometimes.
How do you dye to fear?
Fear is like a fire. If you give it fuel it will grow stronger. Our thinking is fuel. If we perseverate on our foreboding thoughts then that becomes fuel. Constantly playing bad possible outcomes in our head will make things worse.
What helps? Gods cleansing word, His Holy Spirit, and prayer. Truth can combat fear, that is why it is so vital to keep in God's word. Prayer brings us closer to God, and when God is near fear has to flee.
The Bible says perfect love casts out all fear. God's perfect love drawing near,is the cure. Daw near to Him and He will draw near to you.
Another way to combat fear is to do the opposite of what fear tells you to do. It starves the fear like covering a pot on fire with a lid will starve the flame. 
Of course I would be remiss if I didn't mention Water. We know water quenches a flame. Holy Spirit rain can quench fear. Get in God's presence and bask in His love. Invite the Holy Spirit with you when you go into a situation where fear threatens to overwhelm you. Ask the Holy Spirit to rain in your life.

It's not that you will never have fear again. Remember it is a daily choice to walk after the Spirit. There will be daily trials.
Jesus said not to worry about tomorrow because today will have it's own issues to deal with. Concentrate on each day. Be intentional. Bring Jesus with you in each step.

No comments:

Post a Comment