Sunday, October 7, 2012

Walking in the Spirit-Day 3- Prayer

I am happy with yesterdays progress. I got up early got in my prayer and reading time and even went for a walk with hubby in the morning. The rest of the day I fasted. I want to start this off on the right foot and get this flesh of mine in the right place which is under submission to the Spirit.

I said I was going to concentrate on Prayer this week but God wanted me to touch on confessing faults and cleaning up my act. This is all a part of prayer since it's listening to God's leading and confessing to him. It's also the right way for me to start this journey. With purity and a new start with God.

We have probably heard or read different ideas on prayer and how to pray. Look at Jesus' example of how to pray in the Our Father prayer.
When you  think of it Jesus started with the most important thing first. Recognizing our relationship with our God. We need to realize He is our father. We can approach him because we are apart of the family.
Second Jesus shows that we need to also recognize who God is. Hallowed be thy name. He is holy. He deserves our praise and glory. The bible says he inhabits the praises of his people. He draws near when we honor and praise him.
Then the prayer goes on to recognize God's sovereignty and puts us in the right place of submitting to his will rather than our own. Our hearts need to be in the right place with God.
Only then does the prayer start talking about God helping us with our needs. Give us this day our daily bread. How often do we worry and get ahead of ourselves and God trying to get to the things of tomorrow instead of asking for what we need for today. Getting through today can be enough. It has it's own trials and blessings.
That is a tough one for me I must confess. I worry too much. If I concentrated on just today my life would be so much less stressful and I would live each day with more purpose in trying to follow God step by step. That is the challege I need to concentrate on. Invite God into my day and in each moment. Listen attentively and follow his leading in each moment of decision.

Ecc. 5:1 Keep thy foot when thou goest to the house of God, and be more ready to hear...
Ecc 5:2 Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter [any] thing before God: for God [is] in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few.

These are good words to live by with prayer. Be more ready to hear...Listen instead of bombarding God with a barage of "I wants" "I needs". What does he want for us today? What does he plan for us today?

Let's keep our spiritual ears open. Take time to be in silence with God. Shut yourself away with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment